Faculty and Staff
The Department of Political Science faculty is doing compelling, innovative work. Their instruction, mentorship breakthroughs and successes are integral to turning your curiosity into fruitful results.
Find out more about them, their prestigious honors and their expertise below.
Awards & Accolades
- Gene Barton-Best Dissertation Award from the American Political Science Association’s Organized Section on Political Psychology in 2008; University of Nebraska-Lincoln Layman Award for project entitled “A Matter of Time: The Temporal Dynamics of Political Opinion Formation.” 2011-2012.
- Michael Combs-Chancellor’s “Fulfilling the Dream” Award, 2001; Best book on Urban Politics, 2001, from the American Political Science Association
- John Gruhl-Outstanding Teaching and Instructional Creativity Award, University of Nebraska, 1997
- Ingrid Haas-Brock Award for Outstanding Graduate Achievement, Department of Psychology, The Ohio State University (2011); Graduate Student Research Excellence Award, Department of Psychology, The Ohio State University (2011)
- John Hibbing-Velux Senior Research Fellow, University of Southern Denmark (2011), 9 National Science Foundation Grants
- Courtney Hillebrecht-International Studies Association Steven C. Poe Award for “When Talk is Cheap: Understanding Compliance with International Human Rights Tribunals,” 2010; National Science Foundation Dissertation Improvement Fellowship, Law and Social Sciences, 2009
- Alice Kang-National Science Foundation Collaborate Research Award, “International Influences on Appointments to High Courts,” 2013-2016; Fulbright Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Award, U.S. Department of Education, 2007-2008
- Ari Kohen-2006 Irmgard Coninx Research Prize, a three-month fellowship at the Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung, College Distinguished Teaching Award, 2011
- Patrice McMahon-Dean’s Award for Excellence in Graduate Education, 2012; Outstanding Educator of the Year Award, ASUN, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2009-2010
- Sarah Michaels-Gilbert F. White Fellow at Resources for the Future; Ciriacy-Wantrup Postdoctoral Fellow in Environmental Economics at the University of California, Berkeley
- Ross Miller-Fellowship, Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation, University of California, San Diego; Fellowship, Hoover Institution, Stanford, CA
- Kevin Smith-College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Research and Creative Achievement Award, Distinguished Teaching Award, National Science Foundation Grants, Outstanding Teaching in Political Science Award.
- Elizabeth Theiss-Morse-Five National Science Foundation grants; Distinguished Teaching Award
- Sergio Wals-University of Nebraska Foundation for Research on the U.S. Congress Grant for the project entitled “When the Ambition Ladder and Ideology Collide: Legislators’ Preferences about Reelection in a New Democracy.”-2011