Combs recently organized the G.E. Hendricks Symposium "The Challenge of Inequality in the Age of Obama: Does Race Still Matter?"
- Judicial Politics and Constitutional Law
- African-American Politics
- Urban Politics
Current ResearchMy current research includes the participation of the Supreme Court in the conceptualization of race and the construction of the paradox of American apartheid as well as how the American cultural-historical values and beliefs impact how the Supreme Court frames racial issues and questions.
- Chancellor's "Fulfilling the Dream" Award, 2001
- Best book on Urban Politics, 2001, from the American Political Science Association
- 1996 Liberty Bell Award from the Lincoln Bar Association
- Recognition Award for Contributions to Students sponsored by the UNL Parents' Association and UNL Teaching Council, 1992, 1993, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2008
- Civil Liberties and the Constitution: Cases and Commentary. Longman: 2011. Lucius J. Barker, Twiley W. Barker, Jr., Michael W. Combs, Kevin Lyles, and H. W. Perry.
- "Implementing Affirmative Action Plans in Multinational Corporation." 2005. Organizational Dynamics. 34: 346-360 (with Gwendolyn M. Combs and Sucheta NadKarmi).
- "Revisiting Brown v. Board of Education: A Cultural, Historical-Legal, and Political Perspective." 2004. Howard Law Journal. 47: 627-678 (with Gwendolyn M. Combs).
- PhD, Washington University, 1978
- Former president of the National Conference of Black Political Scientists